29 May, 2012

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Muddy!

Well, since Katie posted about her goals and mentioned my goals, I figured I'd finally tell everyone why I'm working out this summer.

I really do miss the days of swim team where I could run around the block without even getting winded. I never had a six-pack or anything (I had the physique of a pencil.) but I was fit. Now, I get winded getting up to change the channel on the TV... Yes, I'm out of shape, I know.

Well, I've been in and out of the habit of working out every week and I wanted to make a permanent habit change. I want to be in shape again.

Nathanael and Court and I have been wanting to train together and go on a giant hike (see post from last year) But we decided this just wasn't enough to get us all going. So, we upped the ante. We all decided to participate in the Tough Mudder.

Now, say what you will about marathon runners, dirty dashers, even spartan racers... NOTHING can compare to the challenge that is the Tough Mudder. Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

The Tough Mudder is usually between 10-12 miles long. (this is just less than a half marathon.) However, it is filled with, on average, 27-30 military-style obstacles, all of which were designed by the British Special Forces. We're talking intense stuff here. No room for kidding around.

My "event", as it's called, is 10.1 miles with 28 obstacles. Here are some summaries: (All summaries taken from toughmudder.com)

Berlin Walls:
"Scale three 12′ wooden walls with the help of your teammates, strategically placed for when you are at your weakest during the event. While some Mudders have worked up the strength to ascend the walls alone, most need a boost from a fellow Mudder — they got your back, literally."

Boa Constrictor:
Crawl through a series of pipes that also force you into some freezing mud. Your legs will be useless in the narrow confines of the Boa, so use your arms to pull you down and out. There really is light at the end of the tunnel.

Electroshock Therapy:
Sprint through a field of live wires — some carrying as much as 10,000 volts of electric shock. Watch out for a hay bale or two or you will face-plant into some electrifying mud.

Fire Walker:
As the name implies, you’ll be running through a trench of blazing, kerosene soaked straw. You can expect about 4’ high flames. Build your lung capacity up before the event or you’ll be forced to inhale some nasty carcinogens.

Everest:
A quarter-pipe that you’ll have to sprint up and enlist the help of other Mudders to hurl you over this beastly mountain. Everest is coated in mud and grease, a combination which will likely send you right back from where you came. Call upon other Mudders to catch you as you run up the quarter-pipe or work together to form a human chain so that you can scale someone’s shoulders to finally summit Everest.  


Arctic Enema:
Many athletes use ice baths for recovery, but you’ll have a difficult time relaxing your muscles in this frigid dumpster. First you must bravely jump into Big Mudder’s floating iceberg abyss. Once submerged, find the mental and physical strength to swim through the ice, under a wooden plank and pull yourself out on the other end before you become hypothermic."

Keep in mind that this is a very abbreviated list.  There's 21 other unspeakable torture devices left on my course alone. (My "favorite" of which involves belly crawling through ice and mud under electroshock tendrils: The Electric Eel... *shudder*)

There are no showers on the course either, if you want to clean off, they meet you at the end of the course with a fire-hose. Yes, a real fire-hose, held by firefighters, hooked to a fire hydrant. Fun, eh?

Why am I doing this? He's crazy!! Why would anyone want to do that to themselves? Right? Right? Well, the TM website sums it up pretty well:

Tough Mudder has already challenged half a million inspiring participants worldwide and raised more than $3 million dollars for the Wounded Warrior Project. But Tough Mudder is more than an event, it’s a way of thinking. By running a Tough Mudder challenge, you’ll unlock a true sense of accomplishment, have a great time, and discover a camaraderie with your fellow participants that’s experienced all too rarely these days.

FACT #1 – Marathon running is boring.

And the only thing more boring than doing a marathon is watching a marathon. Road-running may give you a healthy set of lungs, but will leave you with as much upper body strength as Keira Knightley. At Tough Mudder, we want to test your all-around mettle, not just your ability to run in a straight line, on your own, for hours on end, getting bored out of your mind. Our obstacle courses are designed to test you in every way and are meant only for truly exceptional all-around people, not for people who have enough time and money to train their knees to run 26 miles.

FACT #2 – Mudders do not take themselves too seriously.

Triathlons, marathons, and other lame mud runs are more stressful than fun. Not Tough Mudder. As hardcore as our courses are, we meet you at the finish line with a beer (won't be partaking of that one, obviously), a laugh, and a rockin’ live band. It’s pretty hard to take yourself seriously when you’re covered in mud, so please don’t show up at a Tough Mudder without a sense of humor. 

FACT #3 – You cannot complete a Tough Mudder course alone.

To get through mud, fire, ice-water, and 10,000 volts of electricity you’ll need teammates to pick you up when your spirits dip. To get over 12 foot walls and through underground mud tunnels, you’ll need teammates to give you a boost and a push. Tough Mudders are team players who make sure no one gets left behind. To that end, all Mudders are expected to uphold our ideals and exhibit teamwork and camaraderie both on the course and off it. (This is one of my favorite things about it. They will not let you call it a "race". It is NOT. it is a challenge. Everyone is there to help each other and they don't even time you! It's all about EVERYONE finishing. Not about who can torture themselves the fastest.)

 
So that's why!  (Kudos if you read all of that.)
I don't know why I'm doing it. But I really feel I need to. I'm not out to prove anything to anyone except myself. I can do this, and I know once I do, I'll be able to do anything. I just feel like I need to do this. So, needless to say... There will be a LOT of training... Yeah, a lot...

Wanna see someone who is beyond serious about training? Nobody expects us to be this fit, but honestly... Check this guy out. (And keep watching, it gets better)  www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErZ5GjOyas

That's why I've been up three times a week weight lifting, running, swimming, and running stairs. Am I excited? Very much so. Am I nervous and scared out of my skull? See previous answer.

Wish me... not death...!

2 comments:

  1. And this crazy training has helped Jason go down a notch on his belt! :D

    ReplyDelete